In view of the growing needs of cryogenic support for research activities, the "Central Cryogenic Facility" was established in 1971 as a unit under the Department of Physics. After obtaining independent status in 1990, it was renamed as "Centre for Cryogenic Technology" in 1999.

Currently, the Centre has been quite successful in providing uninterrupted supply of Liquid Nitrogen (~ 4.25 Lakh litres / annum) and Liquid Helium (~ 30,000 litres/ annum) to the research community of the institute. The Centre has two PSA based Liquid Nitrogen Plants (StirLIN4 and Modified PLN430S with the total production capacity ~ 100 liters / hour) and a Liquid Helium Plant (KOCH1410 with the production capacity ~ 18 liters /hour).To meet the growing demands of liquid helium, a new plant (Make : Linde ; Model 1610) has been procured and is being commissioned in the new Physical Sciences building.

Several facilities at the Institute are critically dependent on this reliable and adequate supply of cryogenic fluids. In view of the sustained supply of cryogenic fluids, the Centre has achieved the distinction of being one of the premier Cryogenic Facilities in this country.

Also, active Cryogenic research is being pursued by the Faculty at the Centre, in par with those carried in the leading cryogenic laboratories all over the world.